Sunday, July 1, 2012

PE (Professional Engineer)

OK. SO. A. Long. Time. Has. Past.

In February, I got a notice that my PE application had been reviewed and I had been deemed qualified to take the spring exam!  I quickly had to decide whether I had enough time to study and take it.  I had pretty much already decided that I wanted to take an online review course.....you know, study hard the first time and pass the test the first time so i didn't have to go through that again.  I decided to do it.  I payed the registration fee and decided on a review course right away.  Then I waited a week for my materials to come in the mail.  I had to take the review course at a faster pace than most people because it was supposed to start in January.  Anyway,  to make a long story short, I studied like crazy, went out to Rochester, NY with Melissa and took the exam.  We stayed in the hotel that the exam was being held in.  It was pretty much the worst night of sleep I have ever had.  I got up early and had a granola bar and a cup of coffee, lugged my crate of reference books down to the exam room and waited about an hour with about 70 other testees.  I felt pretty  good abouut the exam (except for the fire alarm going off in the middle of it).  Melissa prayed for me while she was waiting :)  SO, the exam was in April.  Now I have found out that I passed and that I have been issued a License Number and am registered with the State of New York as a Professional Engineer.
There's a website you can go and search Henning, under engineer and my name will pop up with about 6 or so other hennings of some sort or another in New York. http://www.op.nysed.gov/opsearches.htm

In other news at work, we underwent some pretty major network upgrades.  We have a much better server that is more reliable than our old one.  We also have a good reliable backup solution implemented.  In addition to those things, we have switched to Time Warner Cable Digital Phone for our three business lines.  Sometimes it seems like the phones are ringing off the hook.  I have seen all three lines tied up at work fairly often these past few months.  I have also been working some on our website.  http://mdaengineers.com/home.html  We don't get a ton of traffic on our website, but it is a good thing to have these days.  It seems like people are much more likely to search for something on Google than look it up in the yellow pages.  Well, at least I am :)

Melissa went garage garage saling on Saturday and found a 2 gallon air compressor for me for $25.  It is small enough to fit in our apartment and will work very well for filling tires and such.  It reminds me of the "spare air" can we had back home that we would fill up and take to a flat tire to give it enough air to get back to the shop.  I could let this little guy pump up to 100psi and then unplug it and carry it out to the car or bicycle without having to stretch an extension cord.  Oh. And I picked up a nice air chuck for it that has a pressure gauge built into it for another $2.  I think it will work great.

Ok, well i better get going.

Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment